[identity profile] nightstrike09.livejournal.com posting in [community profile] transficsation
Consequences
Part 20-Betrayer
Characters: Optimus Prime, Hot Rod, Ironhide, Kup, Barricade
Disclaimer: I don't own Transformers. They belong to Hasbro and Takara. I am merely taking them for a short spin.
Summary: Summary: Optimus Prime deals with the consequences of an ill-considered choice, one he can't take back. 2007 movie universe. Ironhide reveals what he knows; Hot Rod deals with the implications of his actions and what his future might hold.


"I've taken my beating, I've shared what I made
I'm strong on the surface, not all the way through
I've never been perfect, but neither have you"
--Leave Out All the Rest, Linkin Park

Optimus sat in his office, staring down at the data pad Ironhide had thrown there. He hadn't picked it up, just stared at it. Prowl had just checked in, and they still didn't know Hot Rod's whereabouts. He didn't want to think about Ironhide's words earlier that evening, but he knew he'd have to deal with it sooner than later.
The door chimed and the Autobot leader looked up.
"Open," he said.
It slid open, revealing a sullen-looking Ironhide, flanked by Kup. The ancient Autobot put a hand on Ironhide's shoulder and shoved him inside.
"You're going to tell him you just told me. Every word. Leave anything out and. . ." Kup trailed off, hoping Ironhide got the message.
"Kup, what is this about?" Prime asked.
"You're going to want to hear this," Kup said.
Optimus frowned.
"What?"
Kup had Ironhide's shoulder in a death grip. "Talk."
"Do you remember. . .before Hot Rod's mission into the Maze? Did you hear the rumors?" Ironhide said.
"I heard something of Council of Ancients' dissatisfaction with how the war was going. Who didn't?" Optimus said.
"What you didn't know. . .was that. . ." Ironhide said.
"Keep going," Kup said.
"The council planned to replace you as Prime. . .and they were going to use Ultra Magnus to do it," Ironhide said. "Magnus wanted me to side with him, but I refused."
"But you did nothing to stop it, either," Kup said. "Hot Rod nearly died. . ."
"But that's the thing--Magnus asked me again to fill a slot on the team the night before. The next day--I've never told anyone this before now. . .Magnus said he was replaced. He didn't change his mind about the mission--he was set on it because he thought it was the right thing to do. . .I remember his exact words. . .he was replaced by 'someone whose loyalty was unquestioned.'"
"What's that supposed to mean?" Prime asked.
"I don't know. He never told me," Ironhide said.
"And what does this have to do with what happened tonight?" Prime said.
"Let me explain something, please, before I go further. . ." Ironhide said. "His refusal to see things through was why I walked away from him. . .I felt he should have followed orders. . .he was so set on that mission, then he didn't follow through. . .it was a retrieval mission, into the Maze, to bring back a weapon. I thought it was a failure, but I know now Hot Rod succeeded."
"How do you know?" Prime asked.
"Because I know now Magnus lied," Ironhide said. "And Hot Rod was working with him."
-----
Having the two best hackers on two planets as one's best friends definitely had its advantages, Barricade reflected. The former Decepticon was looking for Hot Rod, but not to bring him back. No, Barricade had his own reasons for wanting to find the young Autobot. And thankfully, Frenzy and Rumble, using the state department of transportation's traffic camera system, had managed to track down Hot Rod.
Mission City was three hours from Tranquility--close, yet far enough away to hide long enough to come up with a plan. Now he just needed to find Hot Rod, and he knew just how to do it. Barricade started broadcasting on a band accessible only by Cybertronians--and one used only by Peacekeepers. He further fine-tuned it by narrowing in on the code used when he and Hot Rod both served in Kup's unit. The old Autobot preferred using Ancient because it wasn't widely used and he'd always said one would never know when it would come in handy. . .
Seemed to be working, too, when he was commed.
:If you've come to bring me back, you're going to have a fight on your hands:
Hot Rod. Barricade grinned inwardly.
:Nice of you to give me warning, but that isn't why I've come. We need to talk:
:Where?:
Barricade sent him the coordinates. The location was close and probably the last place the Autobots would expect Hot Rod to be hiding.
--
The former Peacekeeper was already sitting in the parking lot, watched with amusement as Hot Rod pulled into the parking space beside him.
:This is your idea of a secure meeting place? Krispy Kreme?:
:Prowl would never think of this. He's too logical. Besides, human Peacekeepers frequent this place in the middle of the night, so this is indeed secure for our purposes. And there are no traffic cameras nearby, which is how I managed to find you:
:Great. What do you want?:
:I know you nearly slagged Ironhide tonight, from the way it sounded. The energy surge you created has the base on alert. And you might as well have just sent up a flare telling the Decepticons where it is:
:And what would 'it' be?:
:I know why you were supposed to remain hidden, and I know you have secreted it away somewhere in the desert. I also know what you carry away in your processor, although thankfully, that information is not so easily accessed. Or have you forgotten that I am not the only one Alpha Trion depended upon?:
:No:
:You're taking a chance, being separated from it. Although I am surprised you haven't learned to control it by now: Barricade said.
:It's impossible to control:
:It is not. The stronger the will of the bearer, the easier its powers are to access. Otherwise, you would not be able to use it as easily as you have. You can bend it to your will, if only you would try. And have you figured out by now what this all means?: Barricade said.
:I haven't exactly taken the time to consider it. I don't want to: Hot Rod responded.
:You should. It means you are a Prime, or will one day be: Barricade said.
:Optimus is Prime, and will remain so, if I have any say in the matter:
:We both know how quickly fates can change: Barricade said.
Hot Rod didn't respond.
:What are your plans?: Barricade asked.
:I don't know what to do:
-----
4:30 a.m. Will Lennox rolled over, answered his ringing cell phone.
"Lennox. . .yeah Epps, awake now. So? Oh you have got to be kidding me. Shove it with that line of reasoning. . .no, that's not reasoning, that's bullshit. Epps, cut it with the crap and just tell me what's going on. . .What? I'm sure there's a good explanation. . .Wait. . .no, that is not. . .son of a bitch, Epps, he's told Ironhide like what, a thousand times to not provoke him and. . .yeah, whatever. . .I'll believe it when I see it with my own eyes. . .no. . .yeah, see you later. . ."
He hit the "end" button and looked up, seeing Sarah staring at him.
"Everything OK?" she asked.
"I have absolutely no idea what is going on," Will said. "But I'm going to."
-----
Hot Rod walked into ops, flanked by Barricade, suddenly found himself faced with weapons drawn, pointed at him. Barricade stepped back as Kup took his place, started to place stasis cuffs on Hot Rod.
"I'm sorry lad. . .but this is just until we can get things sorted out. . ." Kup said, not meeting his optics. He lead him away, headed toward the brig. Once there, the ancient Autobot shoved him into a cell, leaving him cuffed.
"Ratchet will be by later to offline your weapons," Kup said. "I wouldn't try to escape. . .we all know about what happened last night. . .I don't think you're dangerous, but. . .doesn't matter what I think."
He gave Hot Rod's shoulder a quick squeeze, walked away, leaving him alone. Or so Hot Rod thought.
"You're not getting out of this one so easy."
Hot Rod frowned. Ironhide. In the cell next to his.
"Shove it," Hot Rod said.
"Aren't you curious? Don't you want to know why I'm here?" Ironhide said.
"Go to hell."
"Optimus knows. Not all of it, but enough. He's angry with me for provoking you, yet again, and I told him about the council, what they had planned," Ironhide said.
"Good for you. Is your conscience clear now?" Hot Rod said.
"No."
He glared at Ironhide, but stopped when he saw the look on his face. Standing outside was Optimus, arms crossed, optics blazing.
"Ironhide, how many times have I told you not to provoke Hot Rod. . .and you. . ." Prime said, gaze locked now on Hot Rod. "I told you to leave things alone, made it a matter of trust between us, to not uplink with the Ark. . ."
Hot Rod's optics widened as he bore the full brunt of his mate's anger through their bond. The first time he decides to open himself completely and he's angry, Hot Rod thought.
"Pay attention," Optimus said.
Hot Rod's head snapped up, meeting Prime's optics.
"I should leave you both here to rot. . .but I cannot. . .Keller is coming today because of the energy surge last night. The humans detected it, and I'm going to have to explain. . .and if the humans picked it up, you can be sure the Decepticons have to," Optimus said. "Do you have any idea the precariousness of the situation you have created?"
Ironhide stared at the floor while Hot Rod didn't move an inch.
"At least one of you has some sense," Optimus said, turning to go.
"What are you going to do about *him*?" Ironhide asked.
"That is none of your business," Optimus said. "You should be more concerned with your own fate."
"Figures you'd take his side," Ironhide said.
Before Optimus could say anything, Hot Rod decided to get in his own jab. "I don't understand how Magnus could stand you for as long as he did," Hot Rod said.
"You always were a great source of disappointment," Ironhide said.
"I heard it from Magnus often enough, and I don't need to hear it from you, too," Hot Rod said. "Ironhide, you and Magnus are going to be the death of me."
"How do I know you weren't responsible for his death?" Ironhide said.
"Ironhide, Hot Rod, that is enough," Optimus said. "You don't know if Magnus is. . ."
He stopped, punched in the override code to Ironhide's cell. "You're coming with me. As of now, you're confined to quarters," he said.
Hot Rod watched as Optimus stepped inside, hauled Ironhide to his feet, shoved him out of the cell. Luckily, Ironhide was cuffed, as he was.
Optimus turned back, only for an instant.
I will deal with you later.

Profile

transficsation: (Default)
Transficsation

December 2020

S M T W T F S
  12345
6 789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 27th, 2026 01:44 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios